An Experiment in Political Anarchy
Update II: 2-14-07: Here are the maps of delegate allocation and the updated House Districts. Thanks again for your patience.


Update: 2-12-07- I have been informed that the House district map used is out of date. I began work to update House Districts today and I should be done with that in a few day. Sorry for any inconvience.
In 2005, I took part in the Shelby County Democratic Party's caucus and convention. To be honest I didn't know jack shit about it. Even though people didn't necessarily behave very well, this didn't bother me. It's the nature of politics. What did bother me was the lack of information available about the process and deliberate attempt to keep the reorganization out of the public eye. If I didn't know people who were already politically active, I wouldn't have been aware that the process was taking place. Throw into the mix that many average people aren't aware of how to get information about precincts, districts, and other basic data, it's no surprise participation is as low as it is for these events. Apparently, the last convention had a high turnout and that is a good sign. So far this year, information is easier to come by, especially over at WTL. But more can be done to level the playing field and give people who are thinking about becoming active the opprotunity to take part. That's what I see as my role. Democratize information.
Remember the last scene in Fight Club, when Tyler Durden blew up the credit card companies' buildings so that everyone can return to zero. Well that's kind of what I'd like to do by giving away all the information a person would need to take part in the party reorganization. In fact, I'd like to ask my fellow bloggers to take any of the maps and data I have here and post it on their blogs. I want as many people as possible to take part. Maybe then, the local party could have some hope at relevance.
If Jackson Baker at the Flyer is reading, feel free to mention the free availability of this information. You can even publish the maps in the Flyer website if you want to take part in this experiment in political anarchy. Any ministers or community groups reading? Why rely on others to organize your people. Do it yourself. YOU can take part in the guiding of YOUR DEMOCRATIC PARTY and not be beholden to some wannabe power broker. If people really want to start change in this city and county, then the political system has to be opened. The Democratic Party reorganization is a small step in that process, but we are coming up on a Presidential election cycle in a state that may be competitive. Why can't YOU be part of that election? That's the end of my plea, now on to the maps.
This first map is of all the precincts in the county and a road map for bearings. The color coding indicates the level of participation from the 2005 caucus. Red indicates that no Democractic voter showed up for the caucus from that precinct. Purple areas are precincts where a lot of voters showed up to fight for the delegates. (Could be anywhere from 8 to 20+ people.) The map legend explains the other colors codes.

Looking at this map, you can see plenty of red. There were 133 precincts that had no voter show up to the caucus. With the new delegate allocation, the total possible number of delegates available from these 133 precincts is 265. Lets say you are in precinct Arlington 00. Nobody showed last time, so if you could get three people to show up this time and no one else does, you'll get those delegates. The more delegates you have, the better the chance you can select Executive Committee members from your House District or you can horse trade. There were 22 high turnout (purple) precincts. Under the new allocation, those precincts could chose up to 56 delegates. If you look at the precincts colored yellow, there are 49 precincts. In 2005, only one voter showed up and he or she became a delegate. Those 49 precincts could have up to 94 delegates with enough voters participating. The light green precincts had 2 voters in 2005 and both became delegates. There were 29 of those precincts and could be worth 59 delegates this year. The light blue precincts had 4 or more voters but not as many as the high turnout areas. There were 19 of those precincts and they now have a possible 48 delegates.
In 2005, I took part in the Shelby County Democratic Party's caucus and convention. To be honest I didn't know jack shit about it. Even though people didn't necessarily behave very well, this didn't bother me. It's the nature of politics. What did bother me was the lack of information available about the process and deliberate attempt to keep the reorganization out of the public eye. If I didn't know people who were already politically active, I wouldn't have been aware that the process was taking place. Throw into the mix that many average people aren't aware of how to get information about precincts, districts, and other basic data, it's no surprise participation is as low as it is for these events. Apparently, the last convention had a high turnout and that is a good sign. So far this year, information is easier to come by, especially over at WTL. But more can be done to level the playing field and give people who are thinking about becoming active the opprotunity to take part. That's what I see as my role. Democratize information.
Remember the last scene in Fight Club, when Tyler Durden blew up the credit card companies' buildings so that everyone can return to zero. Well that's kind of what I'd like to do by giving away all the information a person would need to take part in the party reorganization. In fact, I'd like to ask my fellow bloggers to take any of the maps and data I have here and post it on their blogs. I want as many people as possible to take part. Maybe then, the local party could have some hope at relevance.
If Jackson Baker at the Flyer is reading, feel free to mention the free availability of this information. You can even publish the maps in the Flyer website if you want to take part in this experiment in political anarchy. Any ministers or community groups reading? Why rely on others to organize your people. Do it yourself. YOU can take part in the guiding of YOUR DEMOCRATIC PARTY and not be beholden to some wannabe power broker. If people really want to start change in this city and county, then the political system has to be opened. The Democratic Party reorganization is a small step in that process, but we are coming up on a Presidential election cycle in a state that may be competitive. Why can't YOU be part of that election? That's the end of my plea, now on to the maps.
This first map is of all the precincts in the county and a road map for bearings. The color coding indicates the level of participation from the 2005 caucus. Red indicates that no Democractic voter showed up for the caucus from that precinct. Purple areas are precincts where a lot of voters showed up to fight for the delegates. (Could be anywhere from 8 to 20+ people.) The map legend explains the other colors codes.

Looking at this map, you can see plenty of red. There were 133 precincts that had no voter show up to the caucus. With the new delegate allocation, the total possible number of delegates available from these 133 precincts is 265. Lets say you are in precinct Arlington 00. Nobody showed last time, so if you could get three people to show up this time and no one else does, you'll get those delegates. The more delegates you have, the better the chance you can select Executive Committee members from your House District or you can horse trade. There were 22 high turnout (purple) precincts. Under the new allocation, those precincts could chose up to 56 delegates. If you look at the precincts colored yellow, there are 49 precincts. In 2005, only one voter showed up and he or she became a delegate. Those 49 precincts could have up to 94 delegates with enough voters participating. The light green precincts had 2 voters in 2005 and both became delegates. There were 29 of those precincts and could be worth 59 delegates this year. The light blue precincts had 4 or more voters but not as many as the high turnout areas. There were 19 of those precincts and they now have a possible 48 delegates.

5 Comments:
That's an old house dist. map pre 2002 you mayt want to get a newer one on here before talking about where you live and vote.
10:20 PM
I'm going to check into this. If the map is out of date I'll make the adjustments and repost. I did make the adjustments on the precincts that were recently enacted by the election commission.
2:58 PM
Thanks for your post, you are correct the what for's, and how to's about the conventions, and Democratic happenings are not the easiest information to come by.
http://america-in-08.blogspot.com/
http://tennesseeforedwards.blogspot.com/
7:28 AM
Frank,
While you're fixing the maps, they are also very small and when I tried to enlarge them they were very low resolution so it was not really possible.
What you are doing is great, so just a helpful comment here.
Thanks.
Desi
8:57 PM
Your maps are outdated ... therefore you are dead to me.
Kisses, Memphis Hairlice
9:52 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home