This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Money, Power, & Redistricting



Since everybody is interested in redistricting and checking out my maps, I thought, lets throw in another interesting one. Everyone knows there is a link between political power and money. So check out what it looks like here. 4 council members live in district 5, out of the 6 white council members. Does it not seem crazy to you that a city that is 29% white, 6 out of 13 council seats go to white folks?

You may be wondering why I chose these council members' donors. I'm not picking on them. I just wanted to show that even in a city that is predominantly black, white republicans' political interests are still well represented, especially for folks in Bartlett, Germantown, Arlington, and Collierville.

3 Comments:

Anonymous mikehollihan said...

Hi PD. I'm Mike Hollihan, the editor of the Main Street Journal here in Memphis. Please contact me at mike -at- hollihan -dot- net when you can. Thanks.

11:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been arguing for years for all single member districts that would have districts approximately proportional to the racial makeup of the City.

11:28 AM

 
Anonymous miku said...

more divisions means more corruption! and more bureaucracy!!

como importar comprar en USA - paginas para comprar por internet

Dolar Paralelo Dolar Permuta Lechuga Verde
Compra Casa en Miami a precios nunca vistos

Sirve Baneso o no opina aca

Sirve o no Sirve Movilnet opine aca

8:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home