Allan Wade's City Council Redistristing Epic Fail
This past Friday Allan Wade released a redistricting report for city council districts. There seem to be numerous problems with this redistricting proposal as you will be able to see in the maps below. I am not sure how this redistricting process was done, but from what I can tell it seems as though an outdated precinct map used. Numerous precincts cited in the report do not exist anymore. There are no precincts 15, 71-5, 72-5, 92-2, or Cordova 10. Here is a list of precincts
Several other precincts listed have been consolidated and other precincts have just been left out, particularly in Cordova and southeast Memphis.
Take a look. This is the updated precinct map as of a month ago.

Here is what this map looks like if you use the precincts in Wade's Redistricting Report.

I didn't even bother with the Super Districts since the regular districts are such a mess.
Redistricting is kind of important. Doing this quality of work this close to the filing deadline for the October elections is down right troubling.
7 Comments:
What about 66-0. Supposed to be a split precinct part in Dist 5 and part in Dist 4.
3:57 PM
I heard they were just shuffling precincts between columns in a spreadsheet and looking for numbers to line up.
7:01 AM
PD, I live in precinct 016-03. No fooling. Tell me what district seat I can run for. 6,7,5 or 4 ???? Tom Guleff, tomguleff@gmail.com .
9:28 AM
Tom, get into District 5 and you've got my vote.
3:50 PM
Beats me Tom. Allan Wade doesn't know either.
Has anyone asked Allan Wade if he even knows the election actually gives out maps with up to date precincts, not maps from 2000. Serious, how many times has represented the local government in important cases. Is this the way he always operates?
5:31 PM
If some one has an interesting political mapping project, contact me at polardonkey1 at gmail dot com
5:54 PM
I'm in 15-00 which does not show up on your map. From Allan Wade's letter it appears I'm headed back into 6. I was in 7 in '99 when I bought my house and was moved into 6 and then back into 7 where I am currently. I sit on the border of Central Gardens. I was told by a former council member that that "everyone wants a piece of Central Gardens." That explains why my precinct, other parts of the neighborhood and certainly other areas with active donors get shuffled around. The racial makeup and the balance of power with the super districts will stay the same for a while because of the '95 "Voting Rights Decree" passed as a result of federal court order, and no one wants to open that back up. I don't know how the proposed plan was made, but there is software that will take census data and produce whatever results you want. I don't know why Wade made the plan the way he did, or why so late, but he's beeing doing this for a long time and you can be sure everything he did was deliberate.
11:12 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home