Jim Strickland: Serpentine
I have never been much of a fan of Jim Strickland, but when I read this in the CA today I had an image pop in my head.
He said he is leaning toward voting against surrendering the city school charter.
“This is a huge decision to combine a school system that would have 150,000 students and have a budget of $1.3 billion. And there is no plan in place for a smooth transition.
"In addition, I’ve not heard anyone who’s a proponent of surrender explain how combining the two systems will benefit the education of the 105,000 city school students because, I think, the research now shows that larger districts are not the thing to do and that smaller districts are better. So my first thought is that instead of making a larger district, we ought to be looking at making smaller districts. But I’m open to hearing both sides of the issue. … I am not an expert on education issues. I want to hear what the experts say.”

=
2 Comments:
I'm not an expert either but it doesn't take a genius to know that you can't have those smaller districts until you unify first and then divide them in an organized manner. We can make all of these careful plans but in the meantime, Pickler and company will get their special district.
9:46 PM
PD,
I really don't know how Jim Strickland would vote on this issue.
I took his words differently.
I thought it was a measured response with questions.
I guess time will tell.
8:24 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home