This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Consolidation Redistricting

So I have been a little busy recently and haven't posted much. I thought a useful post would be on the Consolidation Redistricting. The redistricting plan bothered me because of super districts and using 2000 census data. Since I had precinct data from fall 2009, it seemed like looking at the demographics of actual registered voters might be enlightening.
First up are the Charter Super Districts.
District Black Black % White White % Other Other % Total
17 78,167 63.2% 11,452 9.3% 34,000 27.5% 123,628
16 74,935 61.8% 10,538 8.7% 35,729 29.5% 121,192
15 24,929 18.2% 61,960 45.3% 49,677 36.3% 136,735
14 24,353 12.7% 88,758 46.4% 77,153 40.3% 191,265

Next up are the regular districts.
District Black Black % White White % Other Other % total
10 33,218 73.3% 1,195 2.6% 10,880 24.0% 45,293
11 24,590 70.1% 1,277 3.6% 9,205 26.3% 35,062
6 20,188 59.2% 4,630 13.6% 9,261 27.2% 34,088
9 19,884 55.9% 4,256 12.0% 11,458 32.2% 35,598
8 19,643 53.2% 6,542 17.7% 10,736 29.1% 36,921
13 19,883 52.0% 5,499 14.4% 12,831 33.6% 38,213
12 17,957 45.7% 9,985 25.4% 11,194 28.5% 39,299
3 14,751 25.3% 19,255 33.1% 24,252 41.6% 58,258
2 9,092 18.6% 22,654 46.3% 17,224 35.2% 48,971
5 6,096 14.2% 18,671 43.5% 18,161 42.3% 42,928
1 7,978 13.1% 27,944 46.0% 24,816 40.9% 60,738
7 5,795 12.8% 22,949 50.6% 16,607 36.6% 45,351
4 3,309 6.4% 27,857 53.5% 19,934 38.3% 52,100



Here is the PDF from of the Consolidation Redistricting Report

Note "Other" from the precinct data usually breaks down along black/white demographic lines because there really aren't that many integrated areas of the city and county. So if an area is 85% black most likely to be around 85% of "others" are black. Also note there are large Hispanic populations in Nutbush and Hickory Hill, but the percentage of those folks who can vote is still very small.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These districts seem to follow traditional patterns of lumping whites into "their" districts and African Americans into "theirs."

I am am planning to vote flor consolidation because its better overall than the status quo. However, that doesn't mean that I'm totally for everything in it. If by some miracle, consolidation passes, I would like to see an improvement on the composition of the districts.

I would think that these districts would have to be redone anyway due to the 2010 census and I would hope that we could see more integration. In other words, no white majority district without a significant African American influence and vice versa for African American majority districts.

Dwayne

9:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home