Why Are You Even Running for Mayor?
As a political junkie, there are some things that really get on my nerves. For example, pimping your family or trying to hide certain financial donors. First and foremost though is a bad politician. When I say bad politician, I mean somebody that has neither the vision nor skills for the office for which they are running. The mayor's race has brought out a gaggle of bad politicians. Out of the god knows how many people running for mayor, I could find 2 recognizable candidates with actual platforms. Here they are
AC
Slicker than grease. At least he knows how to play the game.
Carpenter
Ok?
A friend told me another candidate, Halbert, had a website and platform, but after going through 3 pages on Google search and not finding it, I gave up.
I'm not going to comment on the content, because they deserve credit for just showing up at this point. But here are a few of candidates who can't be bothered with a platform.
Lawler
What I know of Lawler is that he is a good announcer on Monday Night Raw, he's too close to Joe Cooper, and he wants a mobile mayor's office. While not a full-time politician, he's run for mayor before and this is a poor effort.
Chumney
Oh boy. I'm going to try to control myself but she just brings out the rants in me. Carol Chumney has been a state representative and a city council person. She's run for county Mayor and City Mayor. You would think that as a professional politician, even a not very talented one, you would grasp the basics of things like campaigning on your vision of the where you want the city to go. Inherently tied to this are these things called "issues". I know Chumney gets this because there is an actual issues page on her website, yet the page is empty. I understand she's busy jogging, but perhaps she could skip one run and post something. Damn, you can't just recycle the ones from 2007. Oh I forgot, her platform was "I oppose Herenton." To be honest, Chumney is so bad at politics I don't understand how she got elected to any seat.
Whalum
You probably need to use more than 140 characters to have an actual platform. Lots of tweets don't count. You are more known for roughing up lesbians than running for Mayor.
Lowery
He ain't got nothing. No headquarters, website, campaign. He's just put all his eggs in the fact that he is Mayor. Sad thing is, he's actually gaining traction, but because you don't have a campaign those voters are not going to show up for him.
Here's a piece of advice for bad candidates. There are a myriad of issues this city faces, besides schools and crime. (Note, as Mayor, you don't really have any control over the school system so it is kind of disingenuous to make that a major plank in your platform. Unless you are going to ask for a federal takeover, which should have been done years ago.) For god sake, this is politics, just steal somebody else's issues. There is an actual, nonpartisan campaign currently taking place called "Issues First". You could get a whole campaign platform from them. Damn bad politicians, you are lazy too.
There must be an additional prerequisite to be a bad politician, lack of shame. Many of you have a website asking for donations, but don't even tell possible supporters what you believe in. I wish people would give me something for nothing.
No vision, no skills, no shame = No votes
PS- In case you haven't seen this yet. I highly recommend it. A great mockery of the race for mayor.
3 Comments:
So do we take it that you don't like anyone running? Who is your idea of a good candidate?
8:09 AM
This was an inside baseball post. The skill and vision levels of the candidates are just god-awful.
I haven't chosen a candidate I support. It looks like AC is going to win going away. He'll probably get 55%. The problem with AC is that I don't trust him and I think he is weak.
11:23 AM
I understand your point. I am for A C and I am not one of his inner circle. I thought much like you did when he was running for County Mayor, thinking that he would be a continuation of the reckless policies of Jim Rout. Since then I have come to appreciate his quiet ability to get things done despite being in a relatively weak mayor's position, including his ability to get County financing on the right path and to get better control of planning and development. I disagree with him on some other issues but overall he gets things done.
I look at the quiet, no-drama way he operates as strength and the kind of strength we need as a positive transition from the Herenton years.
I hope this will be his record. If not, I will say that we should of listened to the Donkey.
7:02 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home