This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Eat Shit and Die II- The Cost & Dying Parts

In the previous post I talked about access to food. I didn't really get to talk much about the costs and the dying part.
First, the State of Tennessee Department of Health did a Behavioral Risk Factor Survey in 2007 for diabetes. It had a small sample size. (Ideally, if we had data at the census tract or zip code level we could really see the links between poverty and diabetes.) The study compared Shelby, Davidson, Knox, Hamilton, Madison, and Sullivan Counties. Only Knox County had a higher risk factor for citizens developing diabetes.
Shelby- 11
Davidson- 9.6
Knox- 12.3 (They got some fat-ass crackers up there.)
Hamilton- 10.5
Madison- 9.1
Sullivan- 9.6

When translated into an actual number of people who are at risk, the numbers are stunning.
Shelby- 73,264
Davidson- 41,792
Knox- 39,488
Hamilton- 25,627
Madison- 6,650
Sullivan- 11,710

Michael Pollan pointed out that a person with Type 2 Diabetes has additional health care costs of $14,000 per year. If Shelby County's 73,264 at risk people developed diabetes it would cost $1,025,696. Does Memphis and Shelby County really have an extra billion dollars in local, state, and federal dollars to spend on this every year for the foreseeable future? The Med is going bankrupt as it is.

What is that foreseeable future in terms of lifespan. Lets go back to our four targeted zip codes.
Here is the median age of death for black folks in the three poor zip codes. (I don't list white folks because only like a total of 6 white folks live in these zip codes.)
38107- 63.7
38108- 64.4
38106- 65.7
(Note violence plays a part in bringing these ages down, but that's fucked up too, yet most has to do with health care access and nutrition.)

Check out the median age of death for white folks in 38018. It's 74.9.

I told you we'd get to the dying part.

Desperate times require radical changes. We can't afford not to change.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brad Watkins said...

Awesome post. Thank you for raising this issue.

10:13 AM

 
Blogger marycash said...

I agree.

But your language is atrocious.

2:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know matching the serious of the issue with atrocious (offensive) language my limit the number of people who read this, but I want people to be uncomfortable. Which is more offensive, foul language or injustice. If a reader is hung up on language they're probably missing the point anyway.

5:18 PM

 
Blogger marycash said...

Oh, I meant to say, Your language is fucking atrocious. ;)

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know your name, but you do some interesting, informative articles.

It would be great if you just used civil English instead of offensive language. As a result, I can't share your information with friends or my contact lists due to language issues.

Saying you want to use that language for shock value or whatever, distracts from the message. Using offensive language in public should have come to an end when we become an adults.

I wish all bloggers would watch the language so we can all focus on and share the information.

4:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home