This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Now Cohen Really Needs to Explain His Vote on the Bailout

In the past few days, the Treasury Department and Federal Reserve discovered their bailout plan would not work and switched to the Swedish model of recapitalizing banks by "nationalizing" them. It has been a few weeks since the House passed the Bailout Plan. I criticized this plan and I criticized Congressman Cohen for voting for it. I'm not a congressman who has staff and the chance to get briefings by experts. Even if you don't go to a briefing, you can called numerous experts and get an explanation. Cohen's vote is disturbing to me because aside from Tom Friedman, I have no idea who Cohen was listening to outside of Paulson. Which leads me to this question: Why would you trust in Paulson's Plan? 1) He's in the Bush administration and was Chairman of Goldman Sachs. 2) He's been wrong about everything over the past few years, so either he is a bullshit artist or incompetent. Yet, Cohen voted to give Paulson $700+ billion. That plan failed in a remarkably quick fashion. I haven't heard Cohen say yeah or nay about the new plan to nationalize banks. Here's what Cohen's enabling of Paulson's three weeks of failure cost, 2300 point loss in the Dow and trillions of dollars evaporating into thin air, plus around $500 billion leftover in a slush fund for Paulson to play with. That big of a decline decimated lots of middle class peoples' 401K's. I'm not putting all blame of the decline solely on a piss poor and expensive bailout plan. Even if they had done the Swedish model three weeks ago the market would have declined, but I don't believe it would have been as deep or traumatic. So Congressman Cohen, I'm really looking forward to you explaining your vote and what has happened over the last few weeks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my opinion, he did it to support the value of his own personal portfolio, which is worth millions and which contains stocks that might not have given rise to conflicts of interest as a state senator but sure as hell do, in my opinion, for a congressman.

Also, he got the best committee assignments he possibly could have as a first termer, and if he bucks the Speaker this early on, he might lose them and the political and publicity opportunities they favor.

This is the most plausible explanantion you'll hear, because it's true. He won't be able to think of anything better, which is why you haven't heard it.

1:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home