This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Super District 9 Maps

So Vibinc calls me out when he used maps in his post about the Super District 9 race ;) He showed precincts with strength for Conrad, Lit, and Wilder. I checked them out and I thought I'd add my two cents on the race.

The above map shows the precincts of Super District 9 and total number of black registered voters. In Super District 9, there are 51,165 black voters, 97,795 white voters, and 67,992 other voters.
The above map shows the number of white voters.

This map show the precincts Vibnic said were strong for Wilder, Lit, and Conrad. Lit and Conrad are strong in East Memphis. Conrad is also supposed to do well in Cordova. Wilder is supposed to be strong in Midtown, Frayser, and Jackson Ave area.



Above map: Here's where I think 2 Shay will win and do well, much of it at the cost of Mary Wilder. Everyone knows Black voter turnout is going to be big because of Obama. The precincts where 2 Shay wins are the ones with a black voter majority. The other precincts are ones where black voters are 30% or more of the total registered voters. If I am 2 Shay, I put out 4 by 8 plywood signs with my picture on it and "Democrat" across the bottom (Who cares if the election is nonpartisan). I then do a mail out to all 51,000 black registered voters in Super District 9 with his picture next to Obama's. Finally, I go to every Hispanic voter group I can in Hickory Hill, Raleigh, Frayser, and the Jackson Ave areas. I'd even go on Spanish language radio and talk about issues facing hispanics in Memphis. My catch phrase would be "If Obama can be the first black president, I can be the first black Super District 9 council member".

Oh, one last thing. Here was the turnout for the November general election in 2006. I'm figuring it will be similar. Lower turnout in east Memphis and bigger turnout in 2 Shay's districts.




7 Comments:

Blogger vibinc said...

It was really less me calling you out, than deferring to your superior mapping capabilities.

1:11 PM

 
Blogger Steve Steffens said...

PD, you are indeed the map god...

1:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2Shay for the city council over some of the excellent choices on the ballot? The city faces very complicated issues with long term consequences. The council needs a person with serious business and analytical skills,someone who is independent.

Maybe you were not endorsing him?

6:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm not a big fan of a district gerrymandered so that whites are insured their 6 seats on the council. You know what else I really don't like. I don't like the fact that east memphis has Hedgpeth, Strickland, Flinn, and McCormick representing it, but Frayser and Raleigh only have Morrison. That's ridiculous and if you don't think Frayser suffers from a lack of representation then you need to drive through Frayser.

Plus, what is with the implication that 2 Shay can't mentally keep up with cerebral colossi populating our city council now. At least 2 Shay has choosen some difficult jobs. He was a Marine and a firefighter. I'm a whole lot more sympathetic to 2 Shay's candidacy than Conrad or Lit. Conrad is supposedly mortgaging his house and Lit is going to spend $300,000 bucks. I'm kind of indifferent to Stephens and Wilder.

9:07 AM

 
Blogger vibinc said...

PD,

You're preaching the gospel truth here my friend. There is real and true fear by some in the community that single member districts would result in representation on the Council that reflects the demographics of the community. This would mean an 8-5 or 9-4 racial breakdown on the council, and that scares the dickens out of people.

It disturbs me that this is the case, and bothers me even more that the current system not only disenfranchises on the basis of race, but also class. It's criminal in my mind.

As for the Anon, poster who would question 2-shay's capacity to legislate...the Council has business people, attorneys, and retired civil servants. When you imply that a fireman and ex Marine doesn't have the acumen to govern, you insult working people everywhere. No wonder you' were too scared to put your name on your comment.

Get beyond your personal shame for your classist perspective and own your prejudice in front of God and everybody.

12:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it Vibinc. Memphis is only able to see things through Race/Class lens because it is all about race and class. until we are able to do something about economic inequality that parallels racial demographics, racial relations will not improve significantly.

10:24 AM

 
Blogger Brad Watkins said...

There you go again PD, telling people the truth an all. Will you ever learn?

7:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home