This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Polar Bear Is a Majestic Animal

I will be voting for Steve Cohen in the congressional race. I am a supporter because he votes for policies that benefit lower and middle income people. These are policies that provide assistance and opportunities to people who may not have as many as other in different economic classes. He also fought tooth and nail for TennCare. In addition, Cohen is a ball buster who will stand up to Bush and the Republicans. He could be another Kucinich. It’s interesting that Kucinich is a white guy who represents predominantly African American area of Cleveland. That district is one of the poorest in Ohio. Yet no one doubts Kucinich is doing a good job representing that district even though he’s white.

That being said, last night I went to a little fundraiser/rally for Steve Cohen. Let me tell you, if you have the chance to go to a Cohen event, go. This is completely superficial but there were some of the hottest woman at that event. I was kind of dumbfounded by it. (To the women named Jenny with dark, curly hair I was talking to as we were in line for the restroom; I agree the polar bear is a majestic animal.) The event was on top of a rooftop of an apartment building overlooking the river downtown. There was even good food, wine, and beer. In fact, everything about the event was great except one thing. It was all wrong. As I was sitting there, I mentioned this to a fellow blogger and he understood what I was saying. Sitting there, sipping on my Budweiser (That’s right, I don’t drink wine. I’m an FDR democrat.), overlooking the river, and checking out the beautiful women, I marveled at the fact that there are two different Memphises. I couldn’t believe that this was a political event for the 9th congressional district. With the rally Sunday night and the Cybil Sheppard fundraiser earlier in the week it became apparent that the Cohen campaign reeks of limousine liberalism.

This limousine liberalism contributes to opponents claiming Cohen and his campaign are racist. Those folks who work in the Cohen campaign are the furthest you can be from racist. So much so that I think the campaign has a hard time imagining that a sizeable part of Democratic voters in Memphis still think race matters. This is a problem because it is affecting the way Cohen and his campaign speaks to the community. Cohen has the white progressive and liberal vote in East Memphis, midtown, and downtown wrapped up. Yet like my friend says, midtown is great but midtown ain’t Memphis. He has to go out and speak to other parts of the city. I’m not sure the campaign can.

Basically, I’m a white guy and I think Cohen’s campaign is too white. This pains me to say this but sometimes form matters more than substance. Cohen needs to put a more diverse public face on his campaign, get out of his comfort zone, and spend 85% of his time until the election in the “C”. Go to barber shops, churches, community centers, and just walk around neighborhoods talking to people. Cohen knows more about healthcare and economics than probably any other politician in the state. He voted the right way on these issues for two decades. Remind people of that. Jake, Jr and Sr aren’t going to have any problem going to the hood and talking to people. And that is truly form over substance because Jr voted against his constituents interests, but many people give him a pass because he went out and spoke to them. Hell, even Terry Roland went and campaigned in the “C”. Republican candidate Mark White is using micro targeting and aggressively campaign in Whitehaven. Sure folks may give Cohen an occasional hard time and maybe even tease him a little for being stiff, but that’s just the way it is. I’ve heard Cohen joke about himself, so he can do it.

This week offers Cohen an opportunity. Bush is coming to town on Wednesday. Cohen should go down there and be front and center at that protest. The protest could be the kick off of his campaign spending the next 45 days in the “C”. Forget running against Jake. Play up a populist message and go after Bush hard. Show people that you aren’t afraid to stand up to Bush and the Republicans. Could Jake stand up to Bush the way Cohen could? Obviously, Jr didn’t and he can’t now because he’s kissing republican asses all around the state. If Jr and Jake go campaigning in town together they aren’t going to be able to go after Bush the way Cohen could. If Jr dared, what he said would be broadcast instantly around the state. Black folks don’t like the war and republican economics. Cohen is a fighter so go out and prove you are fighter in areas where people need a champion the most.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I agree with you almost completely, but I have to set the records straight about the Sunday event:

First:Most of the people present at were college student and younger people who normally can afford to go to the $$$ fundraisers. The cover was $5 for students and $25 for everyone else, so this particular event crowd was hardly "limousine liberals."

Second: There was "diversity" in there. Plenty of it. Unfortunately, in Memphis we are too accustomed to define diversity in terms of black and white exclusively, hence Hispanics, Asians, mixed, and anyone who does not fit the black/white labels is either attributed to one of them regarless or simply not included/counted at all.

It's kind of sad...

Other than that, great post. Keep up the good work.

4:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cohen is a friend of mine and you wouldn't believe how many black churches, Melrose football games, church suppers, etc. the man goes to. Before judging him a "limousine liberal" on the basis of one event, follow him around for a week. You'd be surprised. And much of the time, you and Cohen will be the only whites in the room.

12:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home