This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Harold Ford and the Iraq War

Recently, I've been wondering what Harold Ford Jr's position on the Iraq War is. A year ago, just three days after Hurricane Katrina hit, some members of the Shelby County Democratic Party's Executive Committee put forth a resolution stating that the local party supports a timetable and phased withdrawal of US troops from Iraq. The debate was very heated. The most memorable quote was from the Party's sargent at arms who said when he was in Vietnam he wished more people had called for US troops to come home. The strongest opponents to the resolution was from the Ford supporters. I'm pretty sure that was because they didn't want any policy daylight between the local party and Jr's campaign. Needless to say, the resolution was not passed.

Fast forward a year. A week and a half ago, I see a posting on a national blog by Chris D. Jackson saying that Ford supports the partitioning of Iraq. This is the policy Peter Galbraith has supported. It was also what I thought should have happened 3 years ago. This is a major policy shift for Ford, which I have not heard himself state. I don't know if this posting was just Jackson trying to make political hay on progressive blogs or this really is Ford's policy. If it is, why hasn't this been a story in the media? I'm not sure any other national politician has actually endorsed this plan yet. Now I hear Jr is going to make some "big" announcement about the Iraq War in the near future. I just listened to two sound clips on Ford's campaign website. Ford stated he does not support a pull out from Iraq, but then he says stay the course isn't working. He says there has to be a discussion of new ideas, yet he only references Joe Biden's idea of partitioning. Biden still hasn't come out fully in support of this. Is Ford and Democrats big idea for Iraq in September partitioning?

1 Comments:

Blogger autoegocrat said...

This is Ros Kurita's take on the war. She was making the case for partitioning over a year ago.

Nice to see Ford get with the program on such a seminal issue, but he needs to follow it up.

Let's see him cash in his prestige on this issue. He could win the state on Iraq alone, he just needs to present a choice.

I bet he doesn't.

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home