This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Cruella De Tinker


I have talked to various people over the past week or so and nobody thinks Nikki Tinker's TV ads are any good. Now I have been critical of Tinker before but that TV ad is really bad. It makes her look wooden and almost mean. She may as well have been wearing a dalmatian coat because Cruella De Ville doesn't seem to have anything on her. She is sitting in a classroom with children but the kids don't acknowledge her nor does she interact with them. Plus, the production value of the ad isn't very good either. JW Gibson in his county commission race had a better looking ad. It's kind of strange that her ad was so bad. She is smartly targeting her ads on cheap cable networks like Lifetime to get female voters. (But most female viewers of Lifetime locally are probably already voting Cohen.) She has done well with fundraising, even though too much of the money comes from out of town, and hired a pretty advanced company in NPG in Vermont to help run her campaign. She even deftly got that story about being a front-runner in that DC paper back in August 2005 to assist with fundraising. Yet in polling done by some campaigns, Tinker is down to 5th place. Tinker had the opprotunity starting a year ago to actually speak to voters, but she didn't. Now its too late. Voters seem to be going with the candidates they know, Bolton and Cohen. Everyone pretty much knows they will vote if they go to Congress. Why take a chance on Cruella De Tinker with suspected DLC leanings and no track record.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been missing your creativity. This post shows why.

7:25 AM

 
Blogger David Holt said...

Welcome back, donkey man. The sitemeter I use is at www.sitemeter.com

9:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I've heard about the polls, Tinker is in dead heat with Stanton and Harris.

How can Tinker be so close to Harris and Stanton and in 5th when she has tons of money and they just have a few yard signs?

10:54 AM

 
Blogger David Holt said...

As far as Stanton, he has had almost as much money and a good grassroots for a long time.

11:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is over for Tinker. Everybody's polling has it like this. Cohen, Bolton, Ford, Stanton, Tinker and then everyone else is so low as to be within the margin of error. Bolton actually has a shot to catch Steve, but doesn't have the money to get it done, and the other 10 folks on the ballot whose voters would probably be inclined to go with him, completely kills him.

Back to TInker though. I have to admit...those were some of the worst ads that I have ever seen. They were shockingly bad.

11:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Donkey you have attacked Tinker from the beginning with good reason, and I think your attacks have been right on the money.

Tinker has sat back and ran a campaign of an incumbant. Floating the piece of her as the front runner didn't make her a front runner or an incumbant.

And let's face it, I am shocked everytime she opens her mouth. The voice that comes out is shocking and I am surprised that more people haven't commented on it. A woman with her level of success and education should sound educated and she doesn't. And before I get attacked sounding educated does not equate to sounding white. There are many blacks who sound black and educated. Tinker isn't won of them. She sounds like some one who grew up in a rural part of the country and has limited educational opportunities. It is hard for me to take her seriously every time I here her voice.

Any television commercial with her voice is going to be bad because her voice is well BAD

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Steve Steffens said...

You are too good, PD....

7:47 PM

 
Blogger Blinders Off said...

FYI

Niki Tinker name was announced early that she was running for HFJ seat. Many people wondered who Niki Tinker was. The first time Niki Tinker was seen or heard was in the TV ad of her sitting on the front porch...that was of poor taste. Finally, many people said she was attractive, but she came across cold an insincere.

8:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a historic moment for Memphis and the Ninth District--we have the chance to bring a new voice to Washington! From the beginning, my campaign has been about a better vision for the future. We need better policies in Washington, DC, but we also need better leaders--for today and tomorrow!

That is why I have fostered the Tinker Tots, a group of my youngest supporters, Tinker Teens, a group of early teen and pre-teen girls, and the Tinker Belles, a group of politically-engaged teenage and college-age girls, and it is also why I am urging all my supporters to TAKE YOUR DAUGHTERS TO THE POLLS!

Join us with your daughters on Saturday, July 22 at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church (70 N. Bellevue at 9:00 a.m.). If you cannot be there on Saturday, vote today!

I can remember participating in many political and civic activities when I was a young girl. My mother took me to the polls and made sure I was involved--holding signs by the road when I was very young, handing out literature, talking to voters. Those activities broadened my view of the world and helped me understand how I could succeed while working to better my community. They made me realize that people can make a change for the better.

All of our children need to believe that working for their ideals and participating in the political process can make a difference--for them and for America. But girls especially have been kept back from politics and public service. I have seen that when men run for office, they take their sons with them. I want girls to be included, too, so that they can compete and make a difference. Today, women represent only a small percentage of elected officials in state and federal government and there are far too few young women who are encouraged to enter public service.

Young girls need to see the democratic process in action. They need to feel the excitement and know that one person can make a difference in the direction of our country...by voting, volunteering and getting involved.

So please vote today and take your daughters (and sons) along! Talk to them about the issues, why it's important to vote and how they can get involved in their communities. We need them to build a better future!

As we go into this final stage of the campaign, I know that with your help we can achieve a victory. I thank you all for your support!

Early voting has started--VOTE TODAY!

Please vote today! To locate early voting polling stations, click here.

Thank you for your support,


Nikki Tinker

2:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home