This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Steve Mulroy to Joe Cooper: You Sank My Battleship!

Well, today the candidacy of Steve Mulroy was blown up. Channel 3 did a brutal story on Joe Cooper filing a lawsuit against Steve Mulroy and the Election Commission for running in County Commission District 5 while not living there. Now that lawsuit was a dick move by Cooper(Don't worry though, I think Karma will quickly catch up with Mr. Cooper.), but the Mulroy camp knew this could be a problem last week. People made arguments that this is exactly what would happen to Mulroy's candidacy. So far in the 5 days Mulroy has been in the race, he has been seen on TV twice. First, he was arguing for the $57,000 to be paid to Ophelia. That was not good. Do not make your first appearance as a candidate for county commission saying tax payers should give Ophelia Ford $57,000! But oh no, that's not bad compared to today's appearance. On channel 3 Steve said he has been living in his rented house since he qualified for the election. That has been a total of 5 days. I know it's only a couple blocks away, but damn that doesn't sound good. Next, when Cooper's lawyer served the papers, they found Steve, his wife, and kids at the house outside district 5. Finally, there is the camera shot of Mulroy and David Cocke standing in the lobby of the courthouse. Now that the first card was played against Mulroy, if he doesn't drop out, the second card will come at some point. That second card will be to paint Mulroy as Ophelia's lawyer who is been repaid by being given a county commission seat in district 5. Even if that isn't true, that's what it looks like. A week and a half ago, Bruce Thompson was crapping his pants because he knew that if Democrats could put up a half-way decent candidate, he's done. District 5 has thousands of more democratic than republican voters. He only won because Cooper was the Democratic nominee. Guess who the happiest man in Memphis is tonight? That's right, Bruce Thompson. Way to go Democrats, you've just fucked up a wet dream. Did I mention Thompson is the swing vote on the county commission. Oohhh, bad decision.
So what is the back-up plan? If I'm hearing that silence correctly, there is none. Why am I not surprised. The political gods that helped bring us Matt Kuhn as chairman, didn't say no to Ophelia's Senate candidacy (and all its state-wide implications), and can't seem to deal with Tennessee Waltz have brought us another stellar performance. Bravo, bravo, bravo I hope to congratulate all of you at the next Shelby County Democratic Party Executive Committee meeting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Steffens said...

In the immortal words of Lee Corso, Not so fast, my friend!

I'm not surprised the media went after Mulroy, since he is on the Ophelia defense team. My understanding is, however, that he did his work pro bono, so that shouldn't matter.

Mulroy has lived in his rental house for 2 weeks, while his wife looks for a house to buy in that district, and they're committed to it.

All Mulroy has to do is strat running commercials and sending targeted mail how Cooper wants to sell off Shelby Farms and Thompson wants to sell off the jail in privatization and all this will be moot.

Hell, all Mulroy wants to sell is his old house!

8:22 AM

 
Blogger kiljoyhardluck said...

How come that house had a for rent sign on it till he filed and now wwe are expected to believe he lives there
even the back house is rented and occupied but not the house? steve's Toast Stick a fork in him.

2:28 PM

 
Blogger Brassmask said...

Speaking of which, why have I not heard from this Matt Kuhn?

Somebody give me the 411. When he was elected, I heard good things but I haven't heard anything since.

What's his deal?

1:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused - Mulroy is a professor at the U of M Law School with a passion for voting issues who I think has worked hard on holding the powers that be accountable on the voting machine issue, which I believe worked out well for progressives who thought voter verified paper trail was a good thing. For whatever crazy reason, he wants to run for office. Call me silly, but from what I see and hear, he seems like the kind of qualified, committed, progressive candidate that people have been hoping would materialize in Shelby County. He has taken late, but what I am told are legal steps to run for a seat that is very important to Democrats. Do you know anything about him or do you just have a desire to savage anyone who takes any action in this city? Have you got a candidate you want to run? If he hadn't been on the Ophelia Ford defense team would that make you happy? Are you involved in the process of recruiting candidates or just standing on the sidelines lobbing dirtbombs? Your posting is the type of evidence frequently pointed to by some who might think about running for office for why it just isn't worth it.

Oh, and btw, when I googled "Polar Donkey" to get back to your blog so I could respond, know what the first entry is? Polar Donkey on Blogging for Bryant. At first I was confused, but after reading this entry it is beginning to make more sense.

I'm all for transparency and information, but I guess I need to read your blog now less for information and more to find out what the wing of the Democratic Party thinks that isn't interested in doing anything but bitching and complaining and looking for conspiracies.

4:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home