More on Nikki Tinker's Candidacy
It seems my attempt to illustrate how empty Nikki Tinker's campaign for the 9th Congressional District is of substance may have offended some, particularly the recommendation that she don a hooter's waitress outfit in order to convey her campaign theme of superficiality. I thought the reference to her possibly spontaneously combusting upon entering a Union Hall would have caused more of a stir, but who can predict the responses of people. Obviously, I can't. Since I can't tell what will offend others, I will just say what offends me.
-A candidate who puts up a website that allows you to volunteer and contribute but doesn't list positions on issues offends me.
-A candidate who has declared for the race and said to voters of the district that she is not talking about issues yet offends me.
-A candidate who insults the intelligence of the district's voters by putting up giant billboards on the interstate with her picture on them but doesn't show up to a candidate forum. A forum which is to provide voters with unfiltered substance about issues directly from the candidates. This is offends me.
-A candidate who boasts on her website "Nikki began her legal career in Birmingham as a trial lawyer at the law firm of Roberson & Roberson, LLP. There she represented poor and unemployed individuals in cases against large corporations." and then left that law firm to work for Ford & Harrison LLP. What is Ford and Harrison LLP? Here's the firm describing itself. "Ford & Harrison is committed to providing assistance to employers to allow their management teams to successfully deal with government agency investigations, collective bargaining, or union organizing drives by helping to provide the necessary knowledge and insight to deal with these issues."
http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/about/default.asp
"Ford & Harrison clients, located throughout the United States, include air carriers, manufacturers, print and broadcast media, building and defense contractors, hospitals, medical clinics, automobile dealerships, supermarket and restaurant chains, retailers, and many other small, medium and large employers.
Representative Clients
• Aaron Rents, Inc.
• ABX Air, Inc.
• Alaska Airlines, Inc.
• American Airlines and American Eagle
• American Apparel Inc.
• Ardent Health Services
• Arkansas Best Corporation
• Atlantic Southeast Airlines
• Automobile Dealers Educational Assistance Foundation (Cleveland, ADA)
• Callaway Gardens Resort
• Central Parking Corporation
• Champion Enterprises, Inc.
• Clear Channel Communications, Inc.
• Coats North America
• Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated
• Comair, Inc.
• CommScope, Inc. of North Carolina
• Computer Sciences Raytheon (CSR)
• Continental Airlines
• Corrections Corporation of America
• Danka Office Imaging, Inc.
• Darden Restaurants, Inc. (parent company of Red Lobster & Olive Garden)
• Delta Air Lines
• Dillard's, Inc.
• Family Dollar Services, Inc.
• FedEx Corporation
• Florida Rock Industries, Inc.
• Footstar Corporation
• Freightliner
• Gate Gourmet International
• General Shale Products Corporation
• HCA Inc.
• Hendrick Automotive Group
• The Home Depot, Inc.
• Life Care Centers of America
• LIN TV Corporation
• Lockheed Martin Corporation
• Long Beach Medical Center
• Mississippi Power
• Nike, Inc.
• Nortel Networks Limited
• Northern Services Group, Inc.
• Oldcastle, Inc.
• Palm Harbor Homes, Inc.
• Publix Super Markets, Inc.
• Renal Care Group
• Republic Airways Holding, Inc.
• Sonic Automotive, Inc.
• Spartanburg Regional Medical Center
• Spherion Workforce Architects
• TIMCO Aviation Services
• Towers Perrin
• Trader Publishing Company
• Triad Hospitals, Inc.
• Regions Financial Corporation
• US Airways
• Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
• WindowRama Enterprises, Inc.
• Worldspan L.P.
• Wyle Laboratories, Inc."
http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/about/clients.asp
(I'm sure all these Firms are on the BuyBlue website.)
"Our attorneys and staff strive to be partners with our clients by creatively, efficiently and effectively meeting their employment-related needs with the objective of minimizing their need for legal services. We accomplish this by...
• understanding the business of each client;
• using our experience and resources to achieve our clients' business objectives;
• taking ownership of our clients' problems;
• providing attorneys who are accessible, responsive and practical.
http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/about/commitment.asp"
Working for these large corporations in an adviserial relationship to labor and than running as a democrat offends me.
-A candidate that is now the Vice president of labor relations for a company that is a subsidiary of Northwest Airlines. Remember, the airline that broke its mechanics union here in Memphis. That offends me.
-A candidate who makes fundraising time for the rich and famous but can not yet tell the average voter what her opinion is of anything offends me.
-A candidate whose boss can say this: Pinnacle president and CEO Philip H. Trenary says he likes Tinker's style.
"Nikki's involved, communicative style is perfectly suited to our philosophy of open collaboration with our People," She can evidently express herself in the business world, but can't be communicative with the voters. This offends me.
-But what really offends me the most is that this candidate decided to run for congress before she even knew what she wants do when she gets there. Does Tyson Pratcher know what he wants to do when he gets to congress? How about Bill Whitman, Ed Stanton, or Lee Harris? Do you have any doubt about what Steve Cohen would do if he ran? Tinker's campaign has left me no other recourse but to speculate that she is waiting for the talking points memo from the DLC and her D.C. strategist as to what soft and fuzzy pro-corporate positions to take.
7 Comments:
I just took a look at the Ford and Harrison website myself after reading your post. All of the Memphis lawyers do "discrimination" and "FLSA" cases (which is apparently a federal regulation that deals with minumum wage, child labor, overtime and recordkeeping requirements). So let me get this straight. Ms Tinker is running for Congress as a democrat after working at a law firm that specializes in defending corprations that discriminate and try to get around paying minumum wage or child labor laws? I wondered how somebody could be here fo 4 years and now feel like they can run for Congress, but I know see why the business establisment is salivating at sending her to Congress. She is the perfect trojan horse. She's an attractive, educated, sucessfull black woman whose entire career has been dedicated to making it more difficult for other black women to become educated and succesfull (when she is not trying to hurt working folks generally by busting unions.)
Sounds like we have our own Clarence Thomas in pumps here in Memphis. Please tell me we aren't going to let her waltz into Congress. Now that would be a travesty. I am ready to begin an ABT (Anybody But Tinker) campaign.
3:16 PM
Is that information all available on his website or are you a campaign manager or a personal friend?
4:28 AM
That's all right, I'll bet Stanton has real friends here that AREN'T corporate, unlike Ms. Tinker...
1:50 PM
Why do we tear local Democrats apart and never tear into local Republicans?
I see blogs and comments against Nikki Tinker, Harod Ford Jr, Ophelia Ford, Ron Redwing, etc, etc...
Where is the anger at Terry (sp?) Roland. Why aren't we tearing up Marsha Blackburn's anti-Shelby County voting record. Would you rather have Corker, Hilleary or Bryant as the next Senator if it came to a choice beteen one of them and Harold Ford?
Local Republican are elated when we tear into one another - all we are doing is helping them get elected.
7:36 PM
As of today, do you have any proof Nikki Tinker is actually a democrat. There are 7 other candidates for that seat who had the decency to actually talk to the voters before asking them for money or support, unlike Tinker.
Ophelia Ford should keep her seat but she's an embarassment to the party. Plus, what is her position on anything? Jr. sold most likely your's and my interests out to credit card and other corporate interests for his own personal advancement. If you can't realize that, I feel a little sorry for you but more generally YOU'RE SCREWING IT UP FOR THE REST OF US with your blind allegiance. Quit enabling assholes to sell off the public good.
Hey, it's primary season and I have the right to voice my opinion about elected officials and candidates undermining the values I hold dear in the Democratic Party. I will also support whatever Democratic candidate I choose. As soon as Ford supporters come up with another agrument besides the republican boogeyman or the implicit acknowledgment that he is spineless panderer by moving to the right with his votes, I will be glad to listen. So far I haven't heard any. So GO KURITA!
As for Terry Roland, he's a petty little republican nutcase trying to steal an election for his republican puppet masters in order to get rid of John Wilder. Newsflash, Marsha Blackburn is batshit crazy. Unfortunately, 60% of constituents are too. So unless you want me too bust Slobadan Milosevic out of the Hague and start an ethnic cleansing campaign against republican wingnuts, I can't really do much about that district's prevalent insanity. (I guess the water is full of lead out there or something.)All I can do here is fight for the core beliefs of what I believe the Democratic Party should stand for.
9:12 PM
I knew Nikki Tinker in the past. She has always been a politician. She has always chosen her friends based upon what they could do for her. In B'ham, she worked at a law firm alright, but my understanding was that she never set foot into court. I also don't recall her EVER helping the poor do anything. In fact, the story about her being poor is the first I ever heard and I knew her in undergrad and in law school. During those years, she pledged Delta Sigma Theta and drove I think a Z20 or some type of sports car; she didn't seem poor to me. Also, the way to help the poor (especially if your grandmother was waiting on her social security check) is to work for LEGAL AID--not some corporate law firm. I don't feel one way or the other about her candidacy but I just wanted to say that, if you elect her, she will not be an honest politician, but are there really any HONEST politicians---NO! so she should fit in perfectly.!
10:32 PM
It seems as if there is some hate-mail sailing in Memphis. I have known Nikki since she was a young child in Gadsden,AL and she has always helped people without looking for "self-endorsements for doing so". We are rise like that in Alabama and we continue you to do so wherever we live. We help people for the right reason. GOD will give each of us our reward in Heaven ; not on earth which you seem to be seeking! One of many examples of Nikki's care for people came once while in Red Lobster in Memphis in 2005, Nikki made a phone call to a physician for an appointment for a young single-mom waiter that did not have any health insurance. The young waiter was having bad stomach and back pains while working. The young lady went to do doctor the same afternoon to be treated at no-charge. Now have you ever done that? A question for anonymous. What have you done in the timeframe of being a resident of the 9th District Program-Complainant?
signed, "I know Nikki in MS"
4:07 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home