This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Iraq Is Looking Better Everyday

This is an interesting story. I think it shows how power is being distributed and taken by different groups. It sure seems like power through the barrel of a gun. If this is 'freedom on the march' and 'building democracy' after two years of occupation than we really are in bad shape.

Baghdad mayor says gunmen ousted him from office
Tue Aug 9, 2005 12:31 PM ET
Reuters

By Mussab al-Khairalla
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The mayor of Baghdad said on Tuesday he was ousted on Monday when 120 gunmen surrounded his office and installed the city's governor in his place.

Alaa al-Tamimi, a secular official, told Reuters he was not at the office at the time but the gunmen installed Baghdad Governor Hussein al-Tahhan, an Islamist Shi'ite, in his place. Tamimi's account could not be immediately confirmed.

"I am appointed by the state. I handed in my resignation three times because I knew there would be trouble. Acts like these set a very dangerous precedent for a country that wants to be free and democratic," Tamimi said.

Tamimi, an engineer, said tension between him and the Shi'ite-dominated Baghdad provincial council had been rising in the past few weeks, mirroring power struggles that have fractured the national government.

Tamimi said the council had been keen to replace him ever since it was elected in January.

His account of events was challenged by Tahhan, who denied he had entered the mayor's offices by force.

"I was greeted at the door by the deputy mayor, Amir al-Su'aidi. He led me in person to the office and I told my guards to stay outside," he told Reuters.

"It's absurd to think that I could force my way in. I only came with five Land Cruisers! The whole governorate only has 15, while he (Tamimi) has 100 personal guards."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home