This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

So this is party unity?....my two cents

This came from an email written by Brad Watkins at Democracy for Memphis

I am loathed to comment on this sad state of affairs for fear of
escalating current tensions, but as my mother always said, "you never could just
let things slide". I, for one am sick and greatly disappointed by the
flurry of hurtful negative attacks on members of our coalition partner Mid-South
Democrats In Action. These men and women are working very hard to add
their voice, energy and support in our collective goal of helping to move
this local party beyond factional divides and a chance for real party unity.
This is something that should be commended and encouraged, instead Desi
Franklin, and others within that group, have been the victims of
mudslinging, that not only makes the party as a whole look bad, but is
totally counter productive to what should be the goal of every
delegate, to work for a strong united party with a strong and effective chair. I
understand that politics is at times a contentious and aggressive
affair, but i think that everyone should take a brief moment to ponder this
question. How can anyone claim to want an inclusive and open executive committee,
while slandering the very people whose support you claim to want?
Let me make our position clear, Democracy For Memphis, began this
endevour hand in hand with the coalition and will end this endevour with the
coalition, period. I may not have been around forever, but i was not
born yesterday, and neither are the members of this group.
We support Desi and the members of MDIA, and think that those who want
to gossip and spread thinly veiled rumors questioning their party loyalty
are at best misinformed "possible", and at worst people of poor character,
"also possible". This process can sometimes bring out the worst part of all
our natures as everyone feels so strongly about the Democratic party, and
what direction we are all heading in. This is uncharted territory for all of
us, and the unknown can sometimes be frighting, however we cannot forget
that after this is all over we will still have to get back to the business
of building a stronger local party. To do this we want an executive
committee that is staffed with active and committed members who will work for the
greater good of this Party, I constantly hear that from various sides
in all this. So I challenge everyone who claims to want party unity to put
their money where their mouths are. Lets remember that while no one is
expecting us to hold hands and sing "We are the World", that we will need to be
able to work with one another after this is over. Right now all this is
accomplishing is creating new feuds on top of old ones, and the result
of that is a weak chair and a deeply divided executive committee, which no
one wants.

I also want to take issue with alot of the subtle race baiting that i
have heard bantered about. This is another case of actions speaking louder than words. How are we going to be one party, if we always have to have knee jerk racial driven
politics?...How can one unite a multiracial party, if you do not want
to reach out to those who are different than you?.racially,and
ideologically, etc. I am a proud African American man, but i am not blind to the fact
that only a united party, black and white can hope to be effective, and
isn't that the point of all this, to be effective?
The Democratic party has always been the party of the Big Tent,
involving and including people and groups from all over the landscape of this
nation. i hope that we despite all our differences can remember that.
Now any reasonable person can see that this whole "Republican mole"
nonsense is without merit, after all, most people work for republicans...I do,
my boss is a die hard republican, does that make me a suspect now?
The fact that back in the fifties many African Americans voted for
Eisenhower, a republican, so by the logic of those who say these things
many blacks would and should have rightfully been barred from the internal
party process in the sixties and beyond. "How's that for race baiting?"

I have strong opinions, but i always try to keep an open mind when I
speak to someone. Before I met Del Gill,"Sorry if i misspelled" i heard some
negative things about him, but when i met him for myself, guess
what?...i found that i kinda like the guy. we disagree on things,"alot of them"
but at least i know where he stands on things. I hear negative things about
David Upton, but i like the guy, we disagree, "on some big
things"...but that is all it is, a disagreement. I judge people based on what I know
not what i hear. I ask those attacking Desi to do the same.

I have a life, wonderful friends, who
have been supportive and kind, a good family and loving parents...why
would i waste time and energy and emotion on a group of near strangers. I do
not hate anyone on the SCDP, i have much more important things to occupy my
mind and time with. So I propose that before someone makes a charge fueled
by racial bias, or makes a nasty negative comment, slandering someone's
name,without merit that they take a break. Go out, watch a movie, go on
a trip, call up old friends and go do something fun.
In other words, get a life.


Brad Watkins
Democracy For Memphis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home