This blog is dedicated to the political adventures and highjinks of Memphis and Shelby County. It will also coment on some state, national, and international issues as well whatever may catch my eye.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Harold Ford Channels FDR-Because It's the Right Thing to Say

At Saturday's Democratic "unity" meeting. Harold Ford invoked the name of Franklin and even Teddy Roosevelt. It sounded great. I'm a sucker for FDR references. He's my favorite President. The greatest of all modern Presidents and second only to Lincoln. Ford said all the right things, but something kept bothering me as I listened. I couldn't get out of my mind the disconnect between what FDR said and did and what Ford has done over the past 9 years.
FDR said in 1936, "We know that government by organized money is just as dangerous as government by organized mob... I should like to have it said of my first Administration that in it, the forces of selfishness and lust for power met their match. I should like to have it said of my second Administration that in it these forces met their master."

Powerful words and just the tip of the iceberg of what policies FDR enacted to check the power of the rich. Now I look at Ford's actions. I'm extremely pleased about his voting against CAFTA, but maybe he was feeling the heat from the bankruptcy bill. Plus it was a 217 to 215 vote. Plenty of political cover there. I personally always like to judge a politican by who gives him money. As a general rule people don't give money for nothing. Here are the top 20 industry givers to Ford for 2004.
Securities & Investment $205,559
Lawyers/Law Firms $155,622
Commercial Banks $88,130
Real Estate $79,082
Health Professionals $71,600
Insurance $57,999
TV/Movies/Music $56,850
Misc Finance $49,050
Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $42,150
Business Services $40,050
Lobbyists $36,392
Building Trade Unions $33,500
Automotive $33,500
Beer, Wine & Liquor $33,000
Finance/Credit Companies $31,000
Retired $30,850
Computers/Internet $30,050
Misc Business $25,790
Retail Sales $24,750
Food & Beverage $23,750

Now here are the donors who gave over $7000 in 2004 campaign cycle.
Uaw - V - Cap (Uaw Voluntary Community Action Program) $7,000
Independent Community Bankers Of America Political Action Committee $7,000
Association Of Trial Lawyers Of America Political Action Committee $7,000
Amsouth Bank Political Action Committee $7,000
Build Political Action Committee Of The National Association Of Home Builders $7,500
American Bankers Association Pac (Bankpac) $7,500
Eli Lilly And Company Political Action Committee $7,750
Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Political Action Committee, The $9,000
Bank Of America Corporation State And Federal Political Action Committee $9,000
Federal National Mortgage Association Poltical Action Committee Aka Fannie Mae Pac $9,500
Ubs Americas Fund For Better Government $9,500
Dealers Election Action Committee Of The National Automobile Dealers Association (Nada) $9,500
credit union national association $9,750
International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers Committee On Political Education $10,000
Sheet Metal Workers' International Association Political Action League $10,000
Laborers' Political League-Laborers' International Union Of Na $10,000
National Association Of Realtors Political Action Committee $10,000
Federal Express Political Action Committee $10,550
ziffren, brittenham et al $10,750
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Pac For Responsible Government $12,250
Cablevision Systems Corporation Political Action Committee $12,250
Southern Company $12,500
hbj investments $13,000
ncycles $14,000
bank of america $16,000
Credit Suisse First Boston Corporation Gov'T Action Fund $20,250
National Beer Wholesalers Association Political Action Committee $20,500
friedman, billings & ramsey $30,060

Lots of banks, investment companies, and such.
Yes, when I think of of all the great things things FDR did, I remember how Banks and investment companies were so supportive of his policies. And I'm sure if FDR were around today the financial groups, banks, pharmacueticals, Walmart, and Cable vision would just love him. I'm confident that's why these groups love Harold Ford, because of his shared vision with FDR.
I know of a great person with stature across this state, who would fight for Roosevelt style, democratic ideals and who would most importantly have a really good shot at winning. No one doubts what this person says and he/she wouldn't have to reinvent himself for this Senate election. So far this person has not entered the race.

Oh yeah, one more quote from the greatest President of all time.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln, 1861.

1 Comments:

Blogger Richmond said...

Great work here--my friend Steve "linked" me to your blog. By quoting from Mr. Lincoln and FDR, you demonstrate a willingness to look past "party" to "country," for which I'm grateful. I hope your ongoing efforts and others like Steve's will help move progressive policies that include all of God's children toward the forefront of not just mouthed discussion, but eventual implementation.

10:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home